Tuesday, January 12, 2010

You can talk the talk...

... but do you even know how to walk?

As I'm sitting in the back of an Astro van, using wireless from a hotel in a city that I have no stake in, I can only think of how different my life is now compared to even 6 months ago.

These have been desperate times for a lot of people, and I, for one, have come to appreciate these times because they bring out character in people that wouldn't be seen otherwise. Some of the most gracious people have shown their true colors to me in the last year, while others have shown how shallow and selfish they can really be.

Though my experience as a new graduate was supposed to have excitement of its own, the circumstances in which I have finished college have offered a whole new level of adventure. And the best lesson I have learned thus far is this: there are talkers, and there are walkers.

You'd be surprised to see how many people praise themselves for being "good" and "charitable," but then come to find out they have other motives that lead right back to their own benefit. And the surprise is equal on the other side of the spectrum: the people that you would think to not be interested in lending a helping hand are there for you no matter what!

So as I sit here, evaluating if I am doing anything or just talking about it, I have to remember and be grateful for those who were there for me when I wasn't expecting them to be. Especially in a climate of unexpected things, unexpected help is something I should be most grateful for.

Though I've been a talker all my life, I am ready to start taking a walk. Who's with me?

n/a

No comments: