Monday, November 24, 2008

As deep as the snow...

If there’s one thing I do like about winter, it’s the walks.

There’s nothing I enjoy more than taking a walk in the calming snow, listening to Explosions in the Sky, and just thinking.

Of course, tonight the thoughts were a bit more depressing than usual.
As I sat down to enjoy my McDonald’s dinner, completely comprised of dollar menu items, I realized what I was wearing…of all things.

I noticed my $400 North Face jacket was covered in snow, so I brushed it off with my $70 Burton gloves. The snow got all over my $150 iPod, as well as my $100 LG Chocolate.

If you’re thinking, “Wow, this kid is well off,” that’s exactly what I was thinking. I remembered that when I came to McDonald’s as a kid, I never imagined I would have all this expensive stuff.

It was a good realization: I have been blessed throughout my childhood and that I have grown into a very fortunate college student.

Then as I left, to continue my hike to campus, I thought of how exactly that all came to be, and how things are now.

I thought about how I will be the first kid of my generation, on both sides of my family, to graduate college…and it’s not because I am the oldest. I am far from it.

To be honest, it couldn’t come at a better time. My parents have sacrificed so much for me and my three brothers during our time in their house. And now that we have all gone off to college, things are finally starting to catch up with them.

They are foreclosing at the beginning of December, and will be without a home of their own for the second time in their life. All so I could have my jacket, and my gloves, and my phone…

To be honest, I can’t help thinking of that really sad scene from Titanic, where Jack dangles in the water while Rose is safe on the door. My parents have sacrificed so much so that I can live through the night. Now I have to make sure that I make their sacrifice worthwhile.

Needless to say, there’s a lot of pressure for me to succeed. There have been too many “near-successes” in my family, and I am the one that has to go take the cake. My mom has always called me “the perfect child,” and I have worked hard to maintain that title. Trust me…I have made A LOT of sacrifices to make my family proud.

Yet, I am still far from successful.

I know that I have $11 in my wallet to last me until Wednesday, a multi-thousand dollar loan to apply for to pay for next semester, and an internship to find so I can get out of school and finally start my life.

The only thing keeping me together is the people around me. I have always believed that I am fueled by those around me and what they are feeling. Luckily I have met some AMAZING people here at school, and when Thursday comes around and I have to say what I am thankful for…you can guarantee that I’ll be name dropping.

So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I just wanted to give you some perspective of things that you have that you may be taking for granted. My story is in no way a tragedy, in which I need any additional love, support, money, or sympathy. Just wanted everyone to know that even in the face of huge struggles, there is always something to be thankful for.

So find that something, and hold on tight.

n/a

No comments: