Thursday, August 27, 2009

Priorities

Ok, so you have a few job opportunities on your plate and you need to make a decision on which one you want to pursue further.

I would like to get a sense of how other people prioritize things and the rationale behind those priorities.

There are several things to consider:
- The position: the opportunity to advance as well as job security
- The location: economic and weather climate, close to family, friends, support system
- The benefits: insurance, free stuff (i.e.- universities and free tuition)
- The money: hourly or salary, a lot or a little, based on experience or commission
- The company: reputation, product/service offerings

Basically list which things you think are most important to you and which of these don't matter. Feel free to add to the list as well!

n/a

3 comments:

Neely Adkins said...

Since I am in this situation, I can say from experience that this is a very difficult situation. Each opportunity has its advantages and disadvantages.

I can't take more money to be away from family. I can take more money to represent products I don't have passion for. I can't live somewhere cold and represent products I don't have a passion for. I can live somewhere warm and make a lot of money. I can enjoy benefits and not get paid. I can't enjoy benefits and be away from family.

Honestly it's a majority rules situation, I think.

Anonymous said...

I think that each person has there own sense of happiness. Some people think money makes them forget about their job and how much it sucks. I know when I moved away from my parents, it was rough at first but its part of growing up. They are all things that need to be thought about on an individual basis, but I hope you make the right decision :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should go with your gut instincts. What do you feel would be the best option? The people in your life will always be there to support you no matter where life takes you, but certain 'benefits' just can't be overlooked because of their importance. God has a plan for you, a plan for all the people that surround you, and no matter what 'decision' you choose...it will be a part of his plan. He will not lead you somewhere only to lead you to disappointment. Best of luck to you.