Sunday, October 26, 2008

Soundtrack of Your Life

So I noticed tonight, as I was driving home, that certain music brings back certain memories.

I’ve felt it before, obviously, and I think it happens to everyone, but I think it’s a phenomenon that should be talked about more often.

I think it makes sense that a song has a meaning if something meaningful happened during the playing of that song…right? But what about a song that brings back a memory that happened way before the song ever came out?

This is confusing, so I’ll use an example.

Let’s say you break up with your boyfriend/girlfriend: tragic. You are overwhelmed with these feelings, but don’t have any sort of music to turn on to make you feel better. Basically, the only music you have is from the relationship…which isn’t helpful, because that just brings back memories of a time you’d like to forget.

So you go through this phase where you have these feelings inside you, but nothing musical to listen to that will release it and make you feel better. Until one day, while browsing random music, you hear a song that represents EXACTLY what you went through.

It’s as if the artist was in your exact same position at one point and instead of suffering with nothing to listen to, created the most perfect piece of art in order to release his feelings.

This is why I love music so much. You can’t describe the things that it is capable of: the feelings you get, the thoughts it evokes, it’s just magical. Those things in life that can’t be put into words can usually be put into music. And I love that music.

It’s a good feeling to have. Not only that there is music to comfort you, but also that you know that you are not the only one that has been through what you’ve been through. Eventually you find out that no matter what happens to you in life, someone else has been through it. And trust me, for the kind of crazy stuff I get myself into, it surprises me every time I hear a song that describes me perfectly.

If you’ve ever read a survey I’ve done on Myspace, or anywhere else, whenever the question is asked, “When was the last time you cried?” my answer has always been when I watched the movie, Click.

Well …I have a different answer now.
Don’t judge.

n/a

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neely, I tot. get this. I know exactly what you mean. It's sometimes so creepy, it will give me goosebumps. My love for music has greatly increased the last few years. Don't think its silly, I'm right there with ya.