Monday, October 27, 2008

You're just ordinary people...

So once again I’ve come across a situation in which I have to explain myself and how I live my life.

I’m not annoyed, don’t worry. I’ve had to answer these questions for about as long as I can remember.

No, I don’t smoke, drink, swear, or have sex. Never have (and for some) never will. BUT: that does not mean that I hold you to those same standards.

Just because you live your life like the majority of the world’s population, does not mean that you cannot be my friend. In fact, you might just be able to swing a date with me…if you’re lucky. So don’t worry about it.

For the most part, I don’t have a problem with the activities themselves, just the motivation behind them. If you drink to fit in with your friends, to me that shows insecurity. If you drink to get away from life, that shows a fear of dealing with your problems. If you drink to have a good time, and can do so without hurting yourself, by all means have at it.

It just kind of hurts my feelings when people think that I want nothing to do with them because they smoke or drink or have sex or all of them…at the same time. That perception is what got me hated in high school: I came off as an elitist jerk because I never went to anyone’s parties. It wasn’t that I was better than anyone, it was just that drinking Natty Light and taking a dip around a bon fire wasn’t very enticing…

I know that I’m different. I’m reminded everyday by something or other. I can’t have a lot of things that other people get. And I get left out of a lot of stuff. But I still believe that I can live my life the way I want to and coexist with you normal people.

At least I hope so.

n/a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree with you more on every single word in this entry. Story of my life.

Unknown said...

Neely, You are an amazing person for saying what you feel is right and I am SO honored to be able to know someone who feels the exact same way I do. You have summed up everything that many of us needed to hear, especially me, and I want to thank you and never stop believing in yourself as well as God. Thank You Neely!

~Caitlin
Psalms 23