Saturday, June 21, 2008

Adults are FINALLY catching on...

I was reading this and was kind of shocked at how long it has taken authorities to figure out how useful a tool social networking sites are.

I know at CMU they have students working for the police to scan the "Events" section for a pretty decent sized list of parties, including the location and time, and of course, everyone attending. And I think everyone knows that the photos you post are going to be searched by important people like employers, parents, and now, authorities. But disciplinary action for these photos? That's a line that should be crossed with hesitation.

I'm familiar with the rule that you can walk up to a police officer and tell him, "Hey, I ran a red light, going 20 miles over the speed limit yesterday. Sorry you missed it," and you can't get in trouble. But Facebook photos are a different animal...CUZ THEY'RE PHOTOS!

Though they would hold up as evidence, we might be getting ourselves into a whole new generation of "framing people." Do you know how easily I could take a picture of you at church and turn it into a drunked rave with you taking Ex and sippin on Sex on the Beach? And since I do such a good job, the only one who knows the truth is you...and that sucks when it happens.

Should this go on? Sure. Hopefully I'll get a chance to post about my theories of "population control" including the prison system and the like. Fining kids for underage drinking from a Facebook photo will produce revenue for the state, great. But are we gonna hunt these people down that are in pictures from the '70s burning flags? Seems only fair to me.

n/a

No comments: