Sunday, June 22, 2008

Special Request

So I was surprised to find a message to me about my "Space Camp" blog which asked if I could explain my reference to my "lame" lifestyle. Then I got a nice lecture that I shouldn't be settling for a "lame" lifestyle, but to do what I think is best and not worry about others' opinions.

Well, first, thanks for the e-mail, you know who you are. It's nice to see that someone is paying attention to my posts. So thank you.

Second, the term "lame" is not a word that I myself use, which is why it is in "quotations." I am not the kind of person that would settle for something that I thought was lame, especially if it's the way I live my life. The things I do have just repeatedly been called "lame," so I figured that by referring to it as such, more people would understand my reference. Savvy?

The fact that I don't drink, smoke, swear, or have sex out of marriage is frighteningly boring to some people. I've been told that I'm not "living my life" and that I should "just forget it for just one night." And I have trouble taking that sort of thing. I appreciate that my friends are trying to make sure that I am living my life to the fullest, but I also don't like how they think they know what's best for me.

I'm comfortable being me, and doing the things I do...or don't do. It's what makes me the person I am. I've been blessed with a personality that is stubborn enough to endure such suggestions, but also electric enough to enjoy myself without partaking in these activities.

And I am glad that I am around people that are accepting of these choices. I was dreading going anywhere at Central because I didn't want to deal with people shoving drinks in my face. Luckily, I found out who those kind of people were, and made sure not to go anywhere with them. But everyone else has been cool and understanding...and eventually ask me for a ride, which is fine.

...then there's this whole "being a virgin" thing. Which gets more shocks than the drinking thing. Apparently guys aren't supposed to go this long without getting laid. And I say that that, my friends, is "lame." I've seen too many people from my hometown, my high school, my myspace, that are altering the rest of their lives by making such decisions. That's not something I'm interested in just yet.

So I'll deal with being "lame" if that means I won't have kids until I want them, won't die of emphysema, get caught swearing in front of a 5 year old, or deal with a hangover. I'm fine.

n/a

No comments: