Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dark Knight Preview (Sorry WoWer's, not that Dark Knight)

We’ve all been waiting for this. Hopefully all of the hype and sickening amount of praise for this movie will come to fruition when it hits theaters July 18. To be honest, I’m looking forward to this movie, not for the sentimental value of Ledger’s untimely death, but because I have thoroughly enjoyed every movie that matches Christian Bale with Michael Cane (Batman Begins, The Prestige) just because I like the chemistry that exists between a dude with a funny mouth and a sarcastic Brit.

In all fairness, Ledger’s performance in this film will be what solidifies him as a diverse and memorable actor in a generation of Adam Sandler movies and Wayan’s Brother spoofs. I’m sad to say that his best roles were still to come, but I hope that this role will prove that he was a capable talent. Granted, he does have titles like “10 Things I Hate About You,” “The Patriot,” “A Knight’s Tale,” and “Brokeback Mountain,” which is undoubtedly a diversified group. But for the Rolling Stone critic to suggest that he would receive an Oscar might be a little…I don’t know…premature?

Of course, we haven’t experienced any movies on the verge of transcendence yet this year, so it could be possible. Though Kung Fu Panda might get some mentions…

n/a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. If there is one thing that I have been genuinely psyched about this year so far, it is definitely this movie. Ledger's oncoming performance speaks for itself in the trailers that have been released thus far (If you have not had the opportunity to see the most recent comcast exclusive, I feel for you). I was a big fan of Nicholson's performance as the Joker in the 80's, but from what I have seen Ledger has hit the nail on the head. It is a bit darker, which is what it needed to be then but even more so now for the current generation. I don't know if I would have said an Oscar would have been premature, but I will reserve that judgment until I return home from the theater July 18th. Batman Begins was an incredible revival of the series, and the Dark Knight seems to be a perfect compliment to this generations Batman legacy.

Anonymous said...

So.....of course this is going be awesome! I will wait in line to see this! As far as Heath Ledger is concerned, he was about to break through and I think everyone could see that coming! He was an incredible actor, but like anyone else, he was awaiting his chance for glory. Brokeback Mountain was his first chance and it was taken from him...don't take me wrong, Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor but to me Ledger's performance was better that his that year. When Batman comes into play, I can't tell you how happy I was to see that Ledger was playing the joker, he's the perfect candidate for this role! Compare his smile with Jack Nicholson's and tell me what you think? Also, he committed his life at the time, to this film. That's what killed him..sleeping pills, antibiotics, etc...they filmed almost the entire movie at night so he was forced to stay up all night...He deserved this role before he was asked to be in the movie and it will be alot of fun to watch him and Christian Bale together in such a great legacy. Simply said, "I just can't wait!"