Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's patient, and so am I

It makes the world go round, and time stand still.
It makes hearts pound, and voices shaky.
It brings out the best, and exposes the worst.
It’s love. It’s love. It’s love. It’s la la la la la la.

Girls think it’s cute, guys say it’s alright. But can we really put a definition on love? I don’t think so.

Love feels different all the time with different people, which makes it too complex and flexible to define.

You love your mom. Even if you hate your mom, you still love your mom. ( I know I love your mom.) But everyone loves their mom a different way. So we can’t even define a “mother’s love.”

I love my mom. I love my dad. I love my brothers, and everyone in my family. I love all my friends. I love some people I don’t even know. And every one of those loves feels different. I consider myself a loving person and can find something good about someone to love, no matter who they are.

Don’t even get me started on girlfriends…or even ex-girlfriends. (Ok, get me started if you want.) Every girlfriend feels different…in a loving way. Some love is rough, some is so easy, and some you can’t get enough of. But it’s all good enough to stay with someone.

Which is why some people are “blinded” by their love. They love something about someone so much that they ignore the bad parts about that person. That’s why you see couples yelling at each other in the grocery store, or a really cute girl with a butt ugly dude. There’s something so good about that person that they get over their choice of cereal…or their face.

But what happens to that love that is misplaced? A love for a friend that is usually for a mate, or you love your roommate like your brother or sister. This gets confusing. ESPECIALLY, when you aren’t getting that love back.

After some time on Wikipedia, I learned that this is called “unrequited love.” Guys probably are more familiar with this than girls. You see that girl and you say, “She’s the one.” I’m guilty. Maybe even currently. But I’m not embarrassed by it. It’s part of the love spectrum.
This guy sure as heck isn’t embarrassed either.

Then there’s this whole getting married thing. And I have to say, I’ve talked about this before in my Myspace blog. But some things are worth repeating.

I’m at that age where everyone around me is getting engaged, and married, and pregnant. And I still can’t do anything but feel left behind. But should I be down on myself for waiting for it to be perfect? If it’s the kind of love that lasts forever, what’s another couple of years?

There’s not enough room in the world to talk about this. But I strongly encourage you to reply to me about this. I’ve gotten more e-mails than expected about my topics, so feel free to let me know what you want to hear, and what you think. I love you.

n/a

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Hey Neely! Thanks for posting this, it's really cool. I almost needed to read it to understand some stuff that's going on with me right now. So thanks for being "mushy". haha.

Sam

liveLaughLOVE said...

I believe love can wait. I don't know how old you are exactly, but even that doesn't matter. And if you want to get married, that is something that is sacred. You want to share that with someone you know is going to stick with you no matter what. The divorce rate is so high today and it's sad. Divorce can take such an emotional toll on someone and if kids are involved, it can just be hell. So do what's right for you and ignore everyone else around you. I know it is cliche, but follow your heart. I mean it became cliche for a reason, right? Everyone says it cuz it's true. You can't sit down and weigh pros and cons of loving someone. You will just know and when you know, don't let go.

Anonymous said...

Love can wait, or it can creep up in your face, and happen when it is unexpected. Love is something special and unique for each individual, and people have sometimes have very different definitions of it. That's what is so good, because you have to meet the person that thinks the same way you do. Sometimes you are looking and sometimes it just happens. One of my favorite quotes is "LIFE IS WAS HAPPENS WHAT YOU ARE BUSY MAKING PLANS", and I swear it's true...it happens all the time.

Also, A mother's love is unconditional, something that nobody will ever have unless they have children. You can't take it away...it's always there...

Anonymous said...

i believe love is sacred. i believe that you shouldn't rush marriage. But my question to you is how do you know that this is the one? The one your going to spend the rest of your life with? I was engaged to someone and i thought for sure he was the one we had a beautiful son together and we lived together! and you are right love is blinding because i didn't see the signs until i stepped back and thought about the way he treated me and how we always fought. I left him when my son was about 1 1/2 years old when he through a phone at my head, i said enough was enough and my son didn't need to grow up in a house hold like that, he deserves to know that when i say I love you that you dont just say it because your with them you say it because of the feeling in your heart!