Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ageism and Technology: The Struggle of American Youth

Ok, so I consider myself a pretty smart guy. I can figure things out pretty easily and am a fast learner. Sure. I play on Facebook a lot, and I know how to convert songs from my iTunes to my iPod.

HOWEVER, this does not make me an IT professional. In fact, I only learn to do things that I use every day, i.e.- blogs, media players, paint, AIM. And there are still aspects of those things that I haven’t mastered yet.

But for some reason, because I am a kid in college, everyone over the age of 35 ASSUMES that I am a computer wiz, and could take apart an XBOX and put it together again before they get back from the grocery store. I don’t think so.

Yeah, I can connect your camera to your computer. Sure. I can set you up with a sweet Myspace page. No problem. But there are some tasks that we traditionally (sorry for such an ironic word) reserve for people called “IT guys.”

I don’t mind doing things. I’m always willing to do whatever I can to help. But I will not stand for such a blatant stereotype of my generation. You cannot just hand me $300 worth of software and routers and say, “Make it work.”

Whew.

On that note, I’m considering an IT minor. Anyone wanna do it with me?

n/a

2 comments:

jeffrey simms said...

Neely Bomber,

I'm somewhat of an IT professional at the moment for OU. Although, my job is no way related to my current profession that I'm getting my Masters in (Counseling) or my other profession (photography).

It doesn't hurt to have a solid background in some IT - it's a good marketing tool.

- Simms
www.jeffreysimms.com/blog

Anonymous said...

My assumption is that you got the job because you're an intern and have "time on your hands." It's good experience, no? Very few interns over the age of 35.