Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I'm Saving Myself

I don’t know, I guess it’s the hardest thing I’ve had to do. At least, that’s what everyone else thinks. I have even had people that think I’m lying about it. (Of course, if I was going to lie about this at all, wouldn’t it be the other way?) But how many people share my beliefs?

From what ex-girlfriends have said, I’m definitely part of an endangered species. Which is cool in some ways, but sucks in others. I’ve always wanted to marry someone who has lived their life at least somewhat like mine, and has saved themselves for the sanctity of marriage. But where do I look?

Apparently, I shouldn’t do any searches in Texas.

But this is a different issue entirely. How do we teach kids how to act when it comes to sex? It used to be up to the parents, but lately it seems that the crappiest people are becoming parents, so I’m not sure we can trust those people with that responsibility. So now it’s up to the schools.

But of course, the parents want a say in what the schools are teaching their kids. If you teach abstinence, you leave out methods of protection. But if you teach safe sex, then that comes off as giving permission to have sex, as long as you’re protected.

A vicious circle.

So this is my observation. There are A LOT of young mothers out there. So the question is what are they going to teach their children? Will they spare their child of their experience by teaching them abstinence, or be proud of their life and tell their daughter to just “be careful?”

The weirdest part about this is talking to girls that lost their v-card when they were 15 or 16, and they all said that they were “in love.” Oh yeah? I get the mental image of the middle daughter in Dan in Real Life that calls Steve Carell a “murderer of love.” I can see these girls rebelling and “going out” with some 18 year old boy that has his license…(I just pray for a daughter so I can own a shotgun)

I remember when I was young and was head over heels for a girl, but the limits of these relationships are shifting to the extreme. I would be excited if I got a note from a girl I liked. Now pre-teens won’t settle until they have stolen each others’ innocence.

Ridiculous. How long will it take until no one has respect for themselves anymore?

n/a

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really don't think it has anything to do with the parents. And I know that's a crazy thing to say. But personally I was raised going to church every sunday and went to a private school 1-8th grade. Saving yourself sounds good up until the last possibly second that you can't say no. I think most people intend on waiting, it just doesn't happen. Which, yes, is unfortunate but what can ya do when you're really being tempted... honestly.