Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Am I a People Person?

So this weekend has kind of opened my eyes to a lot of things, especially when it comes to interacting with people.

Of all of the 50,000+ people that were within that three mile radius, about 49,000 were the kind of people that I would never talk to. They come from a different background than I do, have different beliefs than I do, even dress differently than I do. Yet, despite all of those differences, I could sit and talk to them for hours about Dave Matthews and John Mayer and how oddly good Snoop Dogg's show was. It was a weird phenomenon that I have never experienced before...and unfortunately it took me until Saturday to realize it.

I started to use my media credentials to start up conversations with people, and it was the best idea I had all weekend. I learned that no matter how weird you think someone is, you have something in common that you can talk about.

I suppose what got me started thinking about this was a comment that was left on one of my blogs about not making a friend because everyone there was weird. It struck a chord, because it was true.

Everyone deserves a chance, and it's not fair to stereotype people and assume that you would have no potential of being friends without talking to them first. Even if they are trying to sell you rolls, or beans, or mollies, or headies, or whippets...doesn't mean there isn't a personality within that salesman.

n/a

No comments: