Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Question the Cliche

While I was ironing my clothes this morning in a dark room (didn’t want to wake mom) I was thinking of a phrase that a lot of kids my age use: “Live for the moment.” And since my best analytical thoughts come to me before 7 a.m. I thought I would share them with you.

Does living for the moment not sound selfish? If you aren’t living with the future in mind, your satisfaction will only last as long as your moment. Right?

I mean, I look forward to entering the working world, living with my wife and kids, to my retirement, and even to see my grandchildren grow up. I use those events in my future to inspire my actions. So really, I’m not “living for the moment” but rather “living for the life.”

I understand the present is fleeting, but so is the future. I would hope that foresight is much more rewarding that instant gratification.

n/a

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like this its very true

Unknown said...

I agree with what you have to say in this post but I also believe in living in the moment. I'm not going to say I'm one of those people that plaster carpe diem all over my facebook but I'm trying to start living in the moment. Savoring what is infront of me and trying to stop talking so much about the future. I'm def. planning for the future in mind but sometimes you just have to breathe and take it in, one moment at a time.

Sometimes the future is good on the back burner.

:)