Tuesday, July 22, 2008

This Weekend

This weekend I experienced the first death in my extended family with my dad’s dad getting killed in a car accident. Now, before you sympathize, know that I haven’t seen or spoken to my grandpa for about 10 years. My grandparents got divorced around the time I was in the 3rd grade. My grandma remarried a man that led to her getting an accounting degree and took her around the world on mission trips. So, to my juvenile mind, the other guy was just bringing Grandma down.

So not only am I dealing with his passing, but with the shame of having such an opinion of a man that I didn’t even know. Yet I especially feel bad for my father. He was down in Florida for the first month and a half of the summer, and stopped by to see his dad.

He wasn’t home.

It had been two years since my dad and grandpa had spoken, and from what I heard, it wasn’t the most memorable conversation. So, again, my dad is not only dealing with the death of his father, but also the fact that he was minutes away from speaking to him one last time, but couldn’t make it happen.

So, yeah, I’m definitely in one of those states that I’m trying to make the most out of everything, and not take advantage, and all that stuff. But I know that it will eventually fade. Hopefully I won’t end up like my grandpa, years removed from my family, and dying alone. To me, that’s the worst way to go out.

n/a

No comments: